Sunday 27 December 2020

Goodbye 2020

2020 has been a wretched year. Apart from the political tragedy that is America, Covid 19 has destroyed economies the world over and here in Australia, bushfires, in America tornadoes and floods, the death of so many icons, Sean Connery, Chadwick Boseman, Kobe Bryant and so many, so much more, makes this the most depressing year I have ever known. If a year was going to flush me out of hiding then it is indeed 2020.

So here I am and of course I'm wondering if anyone even remembers me. It has been at least 6 or 7 years since I last picked up my pen here.  So what happened in those 'wilderness' years? Well I'm going through a divorce, I survived pancreatic cancer but I'm having trouble adjusting to having large sections of my abdomen missing, I became a Director of a charity trying desperately to feed the homeless and hungry here in Brisbane. I live alone and have been focusing on my music and photography as a way to get me through the very, very, very painful and difficult days due to the cancer. My music is now available worldwide on Spotify, Itunes, Apple music etc and I'm proud to say it was achieved when the cancer was at its most diabolical. I'm still recovering from surgery the scars of which are so right angled I can't even tell my grandkids tales of fighting off sharks, unless there's something like 'geometric' sharks out there.

I hope during my absence that life has been kinder to you all than it has been to me. I look forward to reconnecting with some very amazing people here. Y'all take care and yes I will be posting regularly again. I wish you all a blessed 2021.

Rory D Grant


5 comments:

  1. Hello Rory!! How wonderful to hear from your again. Thanks for visiting my blog. In the time you have been gone I have also had a few blog "pauses" but nothing as dramatic as yours. I looked back and found it was 2015 when you last posted!!! A lot has happened in my life - and now with our political scene here (which will improve in 2021, God willing) and this pandemic, I am ready (like really ready) for some positive things to show themselves again. Keep on writing. I enjoy reading your words. Glad to hear you are on the mend from some very serious health stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Terrific to hear from you! :) Yes 2021 will be leaps and bounds ahead of 2020 - it has to be - how could it be any worse?

      Delete
  2. Welcome back! Of course, we still remember you. How could we forget?

    First off, congrats on kicking pancreatic cancer's butt. That's huge. And since you're blogging... and playing your guitar!... your arm is in a heckuva lot better shape than what I remember, too. Remember when you were using that gizmo that allowed you to speak rather than type... and the stupid gizmo had problems understanding your accent? You made that seem funny, although I'm sure it wasn't especially funny to YOU.

    I'm sorry to hear about the divorce and all of the other challenges, but it's awesome that you've been working on your music and have decided to dip your toes back into the blogging world again. Welcome back!

    By the way, I listened to your recording on your last post. Dude, it doesn't matter what you "call" your music. Country? Folk? Blues? Who cares? What you have is a beautiful voice, and that trumps genre any day.

    Take care, and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Susan! Terrific to hear from you! And thank you for such a warm welcome back. Yup 2021 will be about my photography and my music and woe betide anything that slows either lol. I've been given a new lease of life - I intend to use it! (And write about it too!)

      Delete
  3. I have taken a blog break for a while as well. On a whim, i clicked on the link to yours, just in case you popped in. You did, while I was out.

    I hope 2021 has been good to you so far, and that it grows better as you are coming out of winter and heading into spring.

    ReplyDelete